NSDL step-details to get the online status of your pan card application and correction request
The government of India has taken steps to make it easier for you to get access to PAN sitting comfortably at your home. This online facility allows you to check the status of your PAN card delivery via PAN Status which you can check after you have applied for the PAN card.
Ensure that you keep the acknowledgment slip safe with you after you have applied for a PAN card for it consists of the 15 digit number which can be helpful for you to know or for tracking PAN card status online. You can know the status of your PAN card application in the following cases:
- New PAN card for Indian as well as Foreign Citizens
- Reprinted PAN card
- Correction or Changes in PAN card
- Transaction Status Enquiry
- Status Track for PAN Application
1) New PAN card for Indian as well as Foreign Citizens: You can apply for this application only and only if you have not applied and/or have not been allotted with a PAN card in your life.
2) Reprinted PAN card: in case you are in a situation where you have been allotted with a PAN but do not have the card yet, then you can apply for this application. You will be issued with a new PAN card bearing the same PAN.
3) Correction or Changes in PAN card: ITD that is the Income Tax Department secure your records related with PAN. Basically this application comes to use when you are already allotted with the PAN but the data has not been updated with the ITD. Data refers to your ‘Name, Date of Birth, address’ either of these things. Hence if you are the applicant, you are issued with a new PAN card with the same PAN but only the information is updated. Whatever are the changes or updates, ITD checks those changes based on how you fill the form. So make sure you fill it correctly. This application can be used by both Indian as well as foreign citizens.
4) Transaction Status Enquiry: If you have chosen an online method for your PAN card application as well as made the payment online through either of cards (Debit, Credit or Net banking) that’s when this application comes to use. This feature offers many benefits such as:
- Track the status: Mention your transaction number and you are good to go. You can see the transaction number on the screen at the time of the application.
- Change Online Payment: Sometimes, the mode of payment can become a hassle when done online. However, with the use of this application you can change it if your transaction was unsuccessful.
- Acknowledgement receipt: You have the luxury to print as well as regenerate the acknowledgement slip but only within 30 days of the date of application done online.
5) Status Track for PAN Application:
National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) is a National Security Depository of India. It acts as a National Guard that secures the Indian capital market. This institution was formed in order to promote the economic development of India.
National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) is also responsible for keeping a track for your PAN card status. In order to track your PAN Application status online you can check out this link which is embodied by NSDL https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/servlet/PanStatusTrack
Once you click on the above link it will lead you to a page as shown below:
Fill in the details as per your requirements and within 15-20 working days you will get your required status.
There are various other websites that allow you to check your PAN card status online, but NSDL is the one which you must follow as it is a government based website. It is also important to note that you can the status only after 07 days from the date of application or an acknowledgment of the PAN by NSDL. If you are in a state of confusion whether or not you have been allotted with a PAN, then you can solve this by visiting the Income Tax Department (ITD) website which is www.incometaxindia.gov.in
Whether it’s online or offline ITD has its chain of Tax Information Network (TIN) facilitation Centres known as TIN-FCs as well as its PAN centres set up all over the country and NSDL accepts PAN applications on behalf of Income Tax Department through these chains. In a case where you have applied for a PAN via NSDL then you can verify your PAN status with the acknowledgment number which is on the acknowledgment slip (15-Digit number) that you receive. Otherwise, if you have applied via UTI/UTIITSL then a Coupon Number is needed. This Coupon is a 10-digit number generated from UTI.
There is also an alternative which can help you for faster communication with the government bodies. You can either call or send as SMS to know your status of the application. All you need to do is call on 020 – 2721 8080 which is a Tax Information Network (TIN) Call Centre or send an SMS on NSDLPAN < your 15 digit acknowledgement number > to 57575.
If you’re thinking that it would be a simple process without any “Cost” involved then you are wrong. Although the process is really simple, go to the website, fill in your details and boom it’s submitted but you would have to pay a certain fee which is Rs. 106 (93 +14% service tax) if your communication address is within India. If your communication address is out of India then it’s quite heavy which is about Rs. 985 [Application fee 106 (93 + 14% service tax) + Dispatch Charges 879].
It’s not a very heavy amount as it is a one-time investment and you are free for lifetime as PAN card gives you an identity in itself.